Friday, August 5, 2011

Letter to the PM: Julia Gillard


Dear Ms Gillard,

My name is Ruby Koomen, I grew up in a small country town 47 km east of 
Melbourne in the Dandenong Ranges. I am a 23 year old international politics 
and history student, rose farmer, florist, citizen journalist, youth worker, 
events manager and musician.
I am saddened to say that after five years of support for the labour party I am 
beginning to loose faith in a party that I thought supported me.
This saddens me as I know that the liberal party does not have my best 
interests at heart and I don't know what else I can do in this position. Can 
you help?
I have recently relocated to North Fitzroy and for the next election I among 
with many of my peers are planning on moving our vote into the Greens party. 
Before I shift to this party and begin volunteering with them I would like to 
know from you that this is indeed the right decision to make or should I 
still be supporting the labour party?
Over the last year I have traveled the world, I even studied back in my 
families home country. In Holland I learned my parents native language, spent 
time with my family and met amazing people from all around the world. My 
views on the world have changed completely in this time and I now know the 
future leaders of our planet. My friends and room mates on campus were from 
Wales, Pakistan, Albania, New Zealand, Israel, France, Germany, India, 
Australia, America, Lebanon, China, Indonesia... and the list goes on. 
Traveling made me learn that people all around the world are not very 
different at all. At the end of the day they just want to sit down, have a 
beer (well not in all cultures, but it's very Australian) with there loved 
ones and enjoy this magnificent world we live in.
I will now list my problems with the system at the moment. These are views 
that I have discussed with many of my peers and at a party the other day with 
the farmers association of Australia (well mainly the Dutch ones.)
Melbourne is my favorite city in the world and it is turning into a "Nanna 
state". Everyone around me is becoming increasingly unhappy and rude! The 
youth just don't know what to do about it, but as you can see with our 
efforts in the Live Music Rally a few months back there is going to be an 
uprising if our political system continues to repress our souls.

Music, along with skateboarding, riding BMX and dancing are expressions of 
our spirituality. Not all children are lucky enough to be educated as well as 
us and some aren't even interested in academia, I know I wasn't I just wanted 
to be a rock star! But when we get together and socialize these are aspects 
that we admire about one another.
So when we partake in these things, we are not trying to disrespect our 
elders simply express ourselves.
Please support organizations, like FreezaCentral, Push Start, Music Australia 
and local venues. It was these places that I first was able to find my place 
in society. And through them I have met some of the most wonderful people in 
the world.
And do not ban the word "fuck" from our vocabulary.
English is a very limited language in the first place as one of my Hungarian 
friends pointed out. And unlike the Hungarians we only have one word for hate 
or love, please do not try and repress the natural progression of linguistics.
Or at the very least do not put it the hands of what is sometimes a very 
corrupt police force. I have many stories of police abusing the system. 
Swearing and assulting me and the youth because of our vulnerable positions, 
particularly being female. I will talk to James Malina (labour Melbourne) 
about them today if I can get him on the phone.
2. Small business owners are suffering because of new legislation.
As the owner of a small floristry business, a farmer at my parent's rose farm 
and the ex manager of my favorite bar in Melbourne I can tell you that people 
are unhappy and confused about all this red tape that has come out in the 
last 10-20 years.
Bar owners- for example
I worked and occasionally managed the Cherry Bar in Melbourne for a few years 
when I finished school. This fine establishment has live bands play there 
often and is an iconic rock and roll venue you world wide.
Since new rules on security and paper work has been invented he is struggling 
and with two new kids things are tough.
On my parents new rose farm we can't even get gas or water licenses as they 
have all been lost in the system and nobody seems to have any idea what is 
going on anymore. I am confused and scared for the world if we can't even 
sort out how to get a farmer his water.
And in regards to the Carbon tax, we as a people are hugely confused about 
what it even means? Educate the people and tell them that it is the best 
interest of Australia and there children and they will vote it in of course. 
Most people want to live old enough to see there grand children grow up.
We are sick of watching you squabble with Tony Abbott. That man is rude and 
malicious, and his stance on women in society upsets me a great deal. There 
is nothing in this world we can't do and we cannot be labeled by politics.
I was in a Australian politics class a few months before the election and the 
whole class bar me said that a woman was going to run Australia one day. They 
said not for another 10-20 years.
And here you are!
Please help mother this world back to goodness Julia. I know you are a good 
lady. And that maybe you are now struggling in a system that is predominantly 
men. But you are a strong intelligent woman, and though I don't agree with 
the way you took power we forgive and we forget.

If you or anyone in the labour party would like to discuss any of these  issues with me. Please contact me on 0424991731 

Kind Regards,
Ruby Koomen


Neither Julia or anyone from her party replied to this email. I did have a dream about her afterwards and she gave me a hug. It feels good to have it out of the system. And I did try to get in contact with the local labor party members... they are pretty slack at picking up phones... BALLS

No comments:

Post a Comment