Thursday, September 1, 2011

National Indigenous Television... (-:

So incredible....

I decided to watch TV for the first time since I've been back from OS today and I found the most incredible thing.


A National Indigenous Television programing network. It was only recently released but it is created by Indigenous Australians for Indigenous Australians. It taught me so much in the half hour I spent watching it and made me feel incredibly proud to be witnessing this fantastic part of history.  

As a 'so-called' Australian citizen I get pretty damn embarrassed about this aspect of our history. 

I never realized how bad it was until I took a few units on Australian Aboriginal History at university. Unfortunately when I was in primary school our teachers failed to mention the mass genocide that took place in our country. And they also left out the fact that they took peoples children away from them because they were on a racial power trip.

The rightful owners of this land only got the right to vote in this country in 1967! That makes me sick, it all does. 

If you don't know to much about it then there is plenty of literature on it at your local library. And I look forward to learning more about it.

Here are some a couple of good docos and films about Aboriginal hardship if you are interested. 







Anyway so I highly recommend anyone check out the National Indigenous Television. And give all your love and support to these fine members of our community. Racism is for ignorant twats.




Also one of my favorite books of all time is one about the first encounters of the Aboriginals with the Europeans. It is beautiful:


No comments:

Post a Comment